SummerStage in Central Park is an annual concert series that attracts droves of music lovers from all over the world. Founded in 1986, the festival features performers that span a wide range of performance genres, from World and American music, to modern dance, to spoken work, to family programming. There is literally something for everyone at this amazing festival!
About Central Park SummerStage
Central Park SummerStage is an outdoor venue located at Rumsey Playfield. It sits just off the 5th Avenue and 69th Street entrance to the park. The closest subway to the festival entrance is the 6 train to 68th Street. The festival runs throughout the months of June, July, and August, and offers visitors more than 30 performing events – most free of charge. Shows go on rain or shine and are only cancelled if dangerous conditions, such as a lightning storm, are present.
Most of the concerts presented during the festival are privately funded, which means that you can attend most of the programs at no cost. A few of the bigger shows presented on the Mainstage do require admission fees. Here are some other things you’ll want to know before you attend:
- No tickets are issued for free events, but space is limited to a first-come, first-served basis. For popular events, lines form more than an hour before the gates open, so arrive early. Entrance to the events begins 90 minutes before show time on the weekends, and 60 minutes before show times on weeknights.
- Concessions are available inside Central Park SummerStage. This includes beer and wine for $5 and water for $2. You can also purchase and enjoy hot dogs, fries and other items.
- Festival attendees are welcome to bring their own water, food and blankets to enjoy a picnic dinner before or during the show.
- If you’d rather forgo the crowds, you can still enjoy the sounds of the music by grabbing a patch of grass outside of the Central Park SummerStage area.
Please be aware these items are NOT allowed at Central Park SummerStage:
- Glass Bottles
Here’s a list upcoming performances at Central Park SummerStage:
- Saturday, August 3rd @ 3pm – The WLIB 6th Annual Gospel Explosion at SummerStage featuring Shirley Caesar, Ricky Dillard, James Fortune & F.I.Y.A., and Donald Lawrence (FREE)
- Sunday, August 4th @ 3pm – The WBLS 5th Annual R&B Fest featuring Raheem DeVaughn, Lyfe Jennings and special guests (FREE)
- Tuesday, August 6th @ 5pm – Disclosure, TNGHT, and Julio Bashmore (Tickets $30-$35)
- Saturday, August 10th @ 3pm – DJ Kool Herc and special guests, preceded by a panel “Hip-Hop Turns 40” (Tickets $15 including panel)
- Sunday, August 11th @ 3pm – Shuggie Otis, Jose James, Hiatus Kaiyote, and DJ sets by OP! (I Love Vinyl) (FREE)
- Friday, August 16th @ 8pm – Diablo Love (FREE)
- Sunday, August 18th @ 3pm – La Mega 6th Annual Tropical Fest (FREE)
- Monday, August 19th @ 8pm – Diablo Love (FREE)
- Tuesday, August 20th @ 7pm – Bobby McFerrin (FREE)
For more information about Central Park SummerStage as well as a full line-up and ticket information, please visit http://www.centralpark.com/guide/attractions/summerstage.html.